Saturday, June 20, 2009

Key What?

Every other business trip I take the family with me. The last one was to Florida in May. I also took a couple of days vacation so it wouldn't just be them having fun while I sat in the meeting.
Our first hotel was an Embassy Suites by the airport where the waterfall in the lobby was a huge hit with Alyssa.

The plan was to spend the next 2 days in Key Largo. Lots of good songs mention Key Largo. Of course all of those songs are at least a generation old. We found out why. There isn't much there now, kinda like a tropical truck stop. Our hotel (booked on Expedia) had boasted a private beach, but it was more like a parking lot out back with some sand sprinkled on it. We cancelled, pulled into a Starbucks, got online and booked a new one on Hotwire (I love that site). We had decided to go all the way to Key West.

Below are pictures at our hotel, the Reach Resort, that turned out to be part of the Waldorf Astoria collection (I really love that site). This one really did have a private beach.
Unlike the rock-coral upper keys, Key West is a true Caribbean Island, that just happens to be connected to Florida by a 3 hour drive on the oversea highway.
Supposedly the southern-most point. Looking at the map, I am not sure. Still it was apparently cool enough for Americans and foreigners to line up for pictures. The triangle on top is a symbol of "the Conch Republic," a nod to a semi-serious past secessionist attempt. Some nice Brits took this picture of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment